Friday, March 19, 2010

A day off

Now we all look forward to working hard all week and on Friday evening getting to enjoy 48 hours of fun! I feel the same with a day off from running... my body is tired, sore from weights, running hills and adding miles each week. Today is not only Friday (the beginning of the weekend) but also a day off from working out. I can't tell you how important it is to have these days and take full advantage of it. We all have goals personally and professionally - but if you can't be creative at work - you need to step outside - take a breath so you can be your best the rest of the day. The same goes for a day off. Our bodies have to take a break to rebuild to be it's best on the next workout day... whatever that workout is. On these days I like to take my dogs for a long walk. It helps to stretch me out while also making my puppies feel great! I make sure I take my vitamins, eat lots of fruit and drink enough water every day (but especially these days) where it's essential to hit my longest run of the week tomorrow at my most hydrated and fully rested best! Don't take these days for granted. Your job today besides work, is to rest those weary bones. In the worst-case scenario, too few rest and recovery days can lead to overtraining syndrome - a difficult condition to recover from. So make sure if you are burnt out that you are just taking some time to chill or find something fun to cross train and keep things from getting stagnant. The burnout stage is when the energy is eventually consumed by fatigue and irritability at work. Enthusiasm with work drops as well as productivity and quality of work. There is criticism from workers regarding the work product and this adds on to the stress already being experienced. Your life must go beyond your work and athletic goals. Enjoy your time alone, your time with your friends and your time with your family. This will help you keep track of your expectations and it will also keep your aspirations realistic. Have a great weekend - rest, play and eat well! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment